The holiday season is fast approaching, and so are a thousand photo ops with friends and family. Is your mouth ready for its close up? Dr. Gary Lederman’s got some great tips for making your smile outshine the lights of the season- and for keeping it bright during all those parties.
If you’re concerned about the look of your smile, it’s not too late to fix it before the holidays. A cosmetic dentist as well as a family dentist, Dr. Lederman offers several options to correct your smile right in his office- and many can be done in as little as one or two visits.
Porcelain Veneers: Porcelain veneers are thin porcelain crowns that are molecularly bonded to your natural teeth. Veneers are a great solution for teeth that may be chipped, crooked, stained or to bridge gaps between two teeth. Best of all, if you are satisfied with your tooth color and only need one veneer, your veneer can be matched to the color of the rest of your teeth. Veneers can be done in 2 visits, depending on how many you’re having placed. Most patients have their new veneers within 1-2 weeks.
Zoom! Whitening: Zoom! Whitening has been the most trusted name in in-office whitening for over 10 million patients. Dr. Lederman is pleased to offer this service to his patients. Zoom uses a 25% hydrogen peroxide gel which goes directly on your teeth while a powerful light is directed onto the gel. The total procedure takes about an hour, with breaks every 15 minutes to apply a new layer of peroxide gel. Best of all, patients can expect to see immediate results from Zoom! Most patients teeth are lightened 6-10 shades in just one hour!
Whitening Trays: Dr. Lederman also offers in-home whitening trays, which can be custom fit in his office prior to use. Dr. Lederman will go over the proper use of the trays and bleaching solution. Trays typically do their work over several weeks, but with regular maintenance the results are long-lasting.
Porcelain Crowns: Porcelain crowns are fillings that fit over the entire tooth. While crowns are often used to repair teeth that have many fillings and may be unable to maintain structural integrity, crowns can also be used in cosmetic dentistry as well. Crowns fit right over your natural tooth and blend seamlessly with the rest of your teeth.
Dental Implants: Dental implants are a great alternative to dentures. These permanent replacement teeth look just like natural teeth. Implants are implanted into your jawbone and cannot be removed like dentures or partials. The implant process takes about five months from start to finish, but the results can last up to 25 years and are well worth the investment.
Schedule your cleaning! There’s no better way to get an instant smile upgrade than to come in for your semi-annual exam and cleaning. Even if you’re doing a great job brushing at home, Dr. Lederman can get your teeth polished and looking their best- and make sure your mouth is healthy, too!
As for those holiday close ups, Dr. Lederman has a few tips- even if your smile is already in great shape.
- If you’re drinking wine, rinse your mouth between glasses. This eliminates that wine-stained look and protects your enamel from the acid in the wine, which is very damaging to teeth. However, Dr. Lederman suggests you hold off on brushing for a bit after having any acidic food or drink such as wine, as this can actually damage teeth even worse. Wait at least 30 minutes between drinking and brushing.
- Carry a brush and floss! If you are eating away from home, keep a brush and floss in your purse or car for quick touch ups between meals and photos.
- Chew sugarless gum after eating. This increases saliva, which neutralizes plaque acid, cleaning your teeth. For even better results, chew a whitening gum.
- Drink clear liquids. If you know there will be photos taken, skip the coffee, dark colored sodas and red wine.
- Wear a blue-toned lipstick. The blue in the lipstick contrasts with the yellow in your teeth, making your teeth appear whiter and brighter!
If you’re interested in learning more about any of the cosmetic procedures Dr. Lederman offers, or to schedule an appointment for your regular exam, give us a call at 516-882-1764.